Friday, February 14, 2014

Oh 9... You're so fine...


It’s December. The Christmas tree is up. Thanksgiving and is long gone. And Braxton and Carter are 9 Months Old. How did that happen? My life feels a little like it’s on fast forward these days. But it’s a good fast forward. The boys couldn’t be doing any better. However, I sort of feel like there should be another category for babies that falls between infant and toddler. They have changed so much in the last month it is crazy. We went from partially mobile babies who were babbling here and there and starting to interact, to babies who are completely mobile, super chatty, expressing every emotion possible, playing as hard as they sleep, and are super curious about everything around them.  Goodness they have grown!


This month both boys got their second tooth (Carter on 10/30 and Braxton on 11/2) which caused a few sleepless nights, but was fairly manageable. They both have decided bath nights are their favorite nights of the week and they splash and play like crazy. They both had to be moved to a bigger car seat and we had to retire our trusty 747 Stroller. It has now been replaced by a super cool Contours brand stroller that the boys face each other in and love.  And both kiddos had to be moved up a level in the jumper because they have grown so much they could slam themselves down and it sounded like a herd of elephants on the way.


Braxton and Carter have completely mastered the army crawl and can easily go from their bellies to their butts without much effort. Braxton is also pulling himself up to standing all the time, and Carter isn’t far behind. BBoy LOVES to army crawl over to me when I am sitting on the floor and use my shirt like a rope to crawl up to standing. Once he gets there he laughs and laughs and jumps and bounces, but isn’t very happy if you have to make him sit down again. Both kiddos totally love cartoons and I think I can say Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is their favorite show. As soon as they hear Mickey’s voice or the silly “Hot Dog Song” they immediately turn to the TV. I am grateful for appropriate channels like Disney Junior, which is a go to channel in the house, and I can’t wait to get to take them to Disney Land when they are older.

I knew that at some point I was going to wake up to super independent babies, but I didn’t think it would happen at 9 months. However, both boys certainly have a mind of their own. BBoy still wears his emotions on his sleeve more than his brother, but Carter Man explodes with emotion when something is going on. Both still are clearly good eaters, but now seem to have an opinion about what they eat. Braxton will spit out things he doesn’t like and turn his head to the side to you can’t put the food in. Carter makes the worst faces when he doesn’t like something, and acts like he is gagging. I am currently hiding broccoli in pears, and have all but given up on avocado (once their favorite food) and pureed chicken (which I don’t blame them). Both boys randomly decide they do NOT want their diaper changed and make sure you know it. You wouldn’t believe the tactics we have come up with to keep they busy during these times. Braxton is completely independent in holding his bottle, and sometimes even multitasks holding the bottle with one hand and a toy in the other. Carter could be independent, but half the time he is just lazy and the other he gets too distracted to lay there with his bottle. We usually end up coaxing Carter to finish his food, and BBoy pounds his like he’s in a beer shotgunning match and doesn’t miss a drop. And finally both kiddos want to play on their own and pick out their toys. They specifically love playing “Soup” with their dad which means they put a plastic ball into one of the bowl toys and swirl it around like they are making soup. So much more of what they are doing now is intentional and it is fun to see them make choices and learn.

As my little men get bigger and bigger one thing I absolutely love is their little hands. I love it when we get to snuggle and I can feel those little fingers holding onto me. Or I love it when they reach out and want to be picked up or reach out to hold my hand. There is something about those little hands that just melts my heart. It must be a Mama thing, or maybe just the face that I know they won’t stay little for very long, but I love it.

Carter has really shown his personality this month. He is so much more vocal than ever before and so much louder. He loves it when you have a “conversation” with him and mimic the sounds he is making.  When he gets super into it he will even exhale really loudly as if to say, “Jeeze, why didn’t I tell you this before?!?!”. He also learned how to click his tongue this month and loves it when you copy him. Carter has the absolute best laugh, and randomly he will just burst out laughing for no reason. He even cackles a little bit with a slight growl when he really gets going. For some reason he has decided this month that my feet are the funniest things ever when I wear socks, and if I tickle him with my toes he will laugh so hard he falls over. The little Carter growl that goes along with his laugh makes me laugh just as hard and together we are a heaping pile of giggles.
C-Man is a very sweet boy, but we have to keep a close eye on him. This month he has started tackling his brother for no reason at all. Out of nowhere Braxton is thrown down and Carter lays a great big kiss on him. The problem is Carter doesn’t realize that his kisses aren’t so welcomed when they are accompanied by his little chompers. He doesn’t actually bite, but his teeth graze just about everything he kisses. Braxton is not a fan. Sometimes Braxton plays along with the wrestling, or even initiates it, but about 80% of the time it is Carter just going after his brother with a huge grin and open mouth. I can’t leave them in the crib anymore because they are crazy.

Carter is definitely my sleeper of the two. This month has been a super hard one for Braxton and he is waking up in the middle of the night several times a week. Carter on the other hand usually sleeps, and sleeps hard all the way through. He can fall asleep anywhere. He will fall asleep at the drop of a hat in his car seat, in your arms, on the floor, and even in his jumper. More than once I have turned to see him flopped over on his arms passed out and the jumperoo still slightly bouncing. Don’t we all wish we could just pass out when we want? Snuggling with either of my little guys when they fall asleep is one of my favorite things to do. However, I have learned that when you have a sleeping baby in your arms, it is nearly impossible to not fall asleep yourself. They are just too sweet and too cuddly.

Braxton becomes more silly every day. He loves to wiggle, jump when you hold him, make a cackling like sound when he laughs, and holler to just because he can. He still isn’t a fan of getting dressed or getting his diaper changed, but he is tolerating it better these days. His chubby little legs propel him forward in his army crawl, and his round little tummy sticks out in just about every pair of pants he wears.  I think BBoys chubby cheeks and legs are the most adorable things ever. He’ll probably hate me for saying that someday, but that’s ok. I can’t go anywhere without people being shocked that the boys are only 9 months old because they are so big. At their 9 month well baby check Braxton was 23lbs 3oz and Carter was 22lbs 4oz. Carter was 29inches long and Braxton was 28 and ¼ inches. We have some seriously healthy boys.

Braxton is my jammer. This month he has really gotten good at it. If you ask him to jam, the little dude shakes his whole body and moves his head like a bobble head. Not only is it hilarious, but he LOVES to do it. If you laugh, he will continue to dance or “jam” until he can’t do it anymore. Talk about cute kid tricks. He is also my snuggler. As I said before, Braxton is up several times a week and he loves nothing more than to get up in the early early morning and come snuggle with me and go back to sleep. While it means we are both catching zzz’s I wish he would sleep through the night. He remains a definite binkie boy and while he might not always have in it his mouth, it is never far away. He loves to take it in and out and has gotten really good at replacing it himself when he needs a little binkie time.

If we were to sum BBoy up in just a few words this month it would be that he is a talker. This kid talks all the time. He talks to himself. He talks to his toys. He talks to us. He talks while he looks out the window in the car. And he talks to his brother in the crib next to him to wake him up. If we were to translate his babbling it most certainly would be in all CAPS and end with many !!!!’s.  Michael says he gets that from me. Maybe he’s right but I cannot wait for the all baby sounds to become words and to know what the little guys are actually thinking. I am hoping they will start expressively signing too. Right now they are still just signing MILK, and they use that for any sort of food. At least they are close.


With the holidays right around the corner I couldn’t be any happier. I am really the most blessed Mama around. I have been waiting for so long to share this special time with my kids and now that it is here I am so excited. We are starting our own traditions and making or own memories. I want them to know and love the reason for this season and let Christmas in their hearts. While they might not totally understand this year, we’re still going to love every second.

Happy Holidays everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment