Sunday, May 1, 2011

Short Girl Syndrome... Those Damn Dress Designers


So it’s not really a secret. I’m short. 5’0 to be exact and haven’t grown (well vertically anyway) since the 6th grade. My lofty husband towers a solid 14 inches above me and most pictures line my cheek bones up perfectly with his armpit. Lovely. Not.

 For the most part, I don’t mind it too much. I’ve always said that good things come in small packages. This of course worked well for me until a much taller friend reminded me that if the small package were to reside on the top shelf I’d be up a creek (Thanks Bird).  Regardless, my kitchen is stocked with step stools, all the common and important stuff I use is placed at a “convenient for me” height, and I own my fair share of heels including platform flip flops. When you are vertically challenged you just do what you gotta do.

 However, somehow there is definitely a disconnect between dress designers and us not so tall people. Yesterday I took on the challenge of finding a dress for Michael’s auction next weekend. Emily and I headed out for some girl time, and some serious dress shopping. I swear to you I must have tried on 30 dresses. And not surprising most didn’t fit. They were too long in length, too long in the waste, way too small in the bust, and just downright looked funny. Thank goodness for Emily’s patience because between my shortness and compacted shape I was having almost no luck.

Finally on our way out of Salem center, Emily suddenly remembered this little shop in the end of the mall she had gotten a dress at one time. I was hopeful, but not so hopeful, because of course Em is a good 6-7 inches taller than me and super tiny. Anyway, somehow I got lucky and the dress gods decided to show a little mercy. In this store I tried on 3 more dresses, and amazingly, 1 fit like a dream. Even better, it was all black. Although you would think since I have to do all dark and plain colors for work that when given the chance I might go for something colorful and wild, but black and I just have a good relationship. It was the right length, right size, not too low cut or crazy shaped, and I knew I could totally wear it again. Score!


When I got home Michael said he liked it, but that I clearly have not been in the sun. LOL- which was his attempt to nicely tell me I was pretty pale. Needless to say I’ll be hitting the tanning bed a few times this week, but if it means looking not so pasty in a dress that actually fits, and hits me at the knees not the calf or ankles it is totally worth it! However, I do wish someone would tell the dress designers that us short girls want a quick shopping trip sometimes too! J Don’t get me wrong, I love the whole makeup, hair, cute clothes, and girly things most of the time, but sometimes being a tomboy is so much easier!  

No comments:

Post a Comment